Friday, July 17, 2009

You Say "Tomayto"



I say "Wow!"

We've gardened for many years (well....Craig has gardened -- I cheerlead) but we've never had such a bumper crop. Maybe we've finally got the bone-meal, watering, and weeding thing down. Or maybe this summer's weather has just been too perfect.

Whatever. We are enjoying bruschetta, salsa, gazpacho, fresh marinara sauce, simple tomato, basil and olive oil salads.

Some of them are huge like this monstrosity:




Some of them are just....well....odd.

Like this one:




It needs a caption, but I don't trust myself.

Here's a Quinoa Salad recipe that I love to make all summer - it keeps in the fridge for days:

Quinoa Salad

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
1 cup chopped cilantro
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup good quality extra-virgin olive oil -- I like Pacific Sun or Olio Olinda
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels (no need to cook first)

Place quinoa and water in a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, until quinoa is soft. Add the remaining ingredients and refrigerate several hours or overnight.

No comments: