Friday, February 5, 2010

Air Time

Last month I read about a show being produced by talk radio host Ronn Owens, KGO AM 810(San Francisco). "The Best Music You've Never Heard" is a once-a-year show and they requested CDs from unsigned Northern California bands. They put all the CDs in a box and pulled out enough to play short clips for an hour and a half. The last hour of the show would be devoted to listeners calling in to vote on their favorites.

So I popped a CD in the mail and promptly forgot all about it.

Back in the early 90s, when I lived in San Jose, I listened to Ronn Owens daily. I had two tiny kids and very little in the way of adult interaction and I thoroughly enjoyed his smart, thoughtful take on news. And since I had little ones, and talking on the phone was not an option, I FAXed in responses and questions to his show.

Fast forward to this morning. I learned via Twitter that "The Best Music" show was airing today. I tuned in online halfheartedly - realizing that the chance of them playing our music was very slim. An hour and 15 minutes into the show, when I heard Redding rocker David Thompson's song "Any Questions," I immediately emailed him congratulations.

David was the ONLY artist from outside the Bay Area that they played. But a couple songs later, they announced that the next clip was from Still Married of Cottonwood. The song was "The Shadow of Shasta" -- WOW -- very cool. Owens said nice things - which is the kind of guy he is -- and my day was made.



You tube link: here

No comments: