Wednesday, May 28, 2008

River Songs

My son assures me that yes, he can create slide show and attach it to my new song so I can post it to my blog.

"It'll take me three minutes."

The middle-aged me just says: "Wow." I even cocked my head and raised my ears, the way our Golden Retriever does when she's totally perplexed by something going on beyond her comprehension.

I've been dealing with computers since the late 70s - carefully following instructions, trying not to screw things up. I'm continually blown away by what my kids have figured out without ever opening a manual or help file. Fearlessness is a trait I'd like for them to pass along to me. Please.

Though I suppose I've come a long way. A few years ago, my fears would have prevented me from presenting a new song in a somewhat public forum. I'd have tucked it away in a drawer, and kept it to myself. So maybe the fearlessness thing is rubbing off a bit.

The album that we are mixing at the moment is "Sacramento River Whispers" - and the songs were all inspired in some way by (ooh - here's a surprise) the Sacramento River.

The themes of faith, redemption and forgiveness weave their way through all these tunes and this song, Sacramento, is the first one that is pretty much finished.

I say "pretty much" because in this brave, new digital recording world, I can change things, and tweak the mix, daily, even hourly, ....for the rest of my ever-lovin' life (egads!) if I so choose. It's a perfectionist's dream-come-true or worst nightmare, depending on your point of view.

From my momentarily Golden Retriever-ish point of view, this works for me.



Sacramento ~words and music by Erin Friedman

I won’t ask why
I won’t cry and make a scene
I won’t add fire
To this town’s gossip machine
I finally pulled myself together
I’ll forgive if you’ll forget her
Let’s go walk down by the river
Try to work this out – just you and me

Oh, Sacramento
Shasta snow bound for the Bay
We’ll lay our burdens by
The Sacramento riverside
Let the water carry them away

We’ll take our time
Where the manzanita grows
And the river winds
Quiet conversation flows
Toss a penny - make a wish
Underneath the Court Street Bridge
We’ve faced tougher times than this
We’ll make our promises and take them home

Oh, Sacramento
Shasta snow bound for the Bay
We’ll lay our burdens by
The Sacramento riverside
Let the water carry them away

Love so strong
So patient with us both
On and on
The river rolls
The river rolls

Oh, Sacramento
Shasta snow bound for the Bay
We’ll lay our burdens by
The Sacramento riverside
Let the water carry them away

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

tres interessant, merci