Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Cottonwood Cowboy Donny Martin

By all accounts, he was the bullfighter you wanted in your corner. The pick-up man that countless cowboys counted on. Cottonwood Cowboy Donny Martin left a proud legacy when he passed away on July 1st.

A website dedicated to his memory provides details on the services (Friday, July 11th) and the Donny Martin Family Crisis Fund, and features some wonderful photos of a man doing what he loved to do: Donny Martin.com.

I wrote Ride Away, Cowboy a few years ago, and daughter Annie joined us on fiddle. It seems appropriate at the moment.




Leaves of October lie buried in snow
Nights growin’ colder and long
Seasons surrender and trees have let go
The cowboy just keeps holdin’ on

Hard times don’t travel that last lonesome road
And he’s achin’ to take up the reins
Hard as I try, I can’t justify
Keepin’ a cowboy in chains

So Ride Away, Cowboy
Your work here is done
Pack up the ponies and run
For horizons unknown on highways untried
Ride Away, Cowboy, ride

The hero sets out and the silence sets in
Solemn and still and complete
Til the music within the whisperin’ wind
Echoes the comfort I need

1 comment:

Uncle E said...

Beautiful lyrics, Erin. It oozes freedom and spirituality. And, as a fellow Cottonwoodian, I am ashamed that I didn't notice the sign nor was I aware of this man.
Thanks for the post.