Thursday, October 9, 2008

Martha and Me

I don't buy Martha Stewart Living Magazine. I don't need a monthly 240-page reminder of my inadequacies as a cook/decorator/middle-aged woman.

But when the magazine, quite by accident, falls into my lap, I do devour it -- for the recipes, the exquisite photography and design. I believe I may have even drooled on the Butternut Squash Lasagna page of the October issue.

And while I understand that Martha-lovers place the woman on a pedestal and hang on her every word, a question in this month's "Ask Martha" column left me shaking my head:

"What's the best way to deal with a bat that has found its way indoors?"

You've got a possibly rabid, many-toothed creature careening wildly around your living room and you're thinking: "What would Martha do?" Really?

To Martha's credit, she did not advise stuffing the critter with foie gras and serving it on a bed of arugula. But just the same, I'd direct bat questions to a wildlife expert and consult with Martha when I needed to get guano stains out the satin draperies.

But the the woman knows her stuff when it comes to food. The Butternut Squash Lasagna? It was to die for.

No comments: