Tuesday, March 31, 2009

That Last Lonesome Road

Our dentist keeps Smithsonian Magazine in his waiting room. How sweet is that? I don't mind waiting -- "Take as long as you like, really" -- when I can read interesting, provocative pieces.

Today I was engrossed in this inspiring article on Home Funerals by Max Alexander:

The Surprising Satisfactions of a Home Funeral

I gave birth to my children at home. I wanted those incredibly intense experiences to be family events, not medical/bureaucratic events. Integrating family life and education with homeschooling followed. A home funeral? It fits quite neatly with my beliefs and values - which are focused on family, home and self-sufficiency.

There are lots of resources - coffin kits, online support communities, books. It's a growing movement and I'm intrigued - I intend to learn more. I do believe that caring for our own dead would teach us something about life.

No comments: