Friday, March 19, 2010

No, He's Not an Old Man....



--- but he plays one in this song. I like telling stories with the songs I write, and in this one, an old man looks back on a long and satisfying life.

I think Craig does a great job in his role as The Elderly Gentleman, despite the fact that he's a rather hunky-looking, middle-aged guy with more than a few good years left in him.

"I'll Fly Away" is a tip o' the hat to the gospel song we enjoy singing here at home. Lyrics are below.



You tube link: here.


I'll Fly Away
words and music © Erin Coombs Friedman


I been called a stubborn cuss
Set like cement in my ways
Start too many stories with
“Back in my day”
But my glory days are memories
And the best of me ain’t what it used to be
I won’t dig in my heels when it’s time to leave

Chorus:

I’ve been loved more than I deserve
Saved by a good woman and the Word
Won some high-priced victories
Made mistakes, made my peace
When the choir sings for me
I’ll Fly Away
I’ll Fly Away
I’ll Fly Away

Was headed down a wicked road
When she laid her hand in mine
Raised me up with a touch
Made me proud to walk the line
Good times and bad, we were blessed
From lullabies to empty nest
Ready for what the good Lord’s planning next


No comments: