Thursday, January 15, 2009

For your own good: Sing

A few years ago, I gave a talk at a homeschooling conference on integrating music into family life -- a subject dear to my heart. I can go on and on about how much fun it is for parents and kids to play and sing together, and since my personal homeschooling philosophy is: "Seek Joy," music fits in neatly.

But many parents prefer more tangible evidence of benefits before adding anything to their curriculum. "Show me," they say.

So I did some research, and I was amazed at the number of studies that have proven the benefits of making music and singing.

Singing doesn't just feel good, it pays off in better health -- including lowering blood pressure, reducing pain, and reducing incidence of depression. Singing can increase well-being and reduce need for medication -- I wish more doctors would prescribe music for their patients.

You can read more at sixwise.com and if you'd like to make some joyful noise of your own, please join us at the next Redding Homeschool Network Sing-Along.

RHSN Family Jam and Sing-Along -- open to all
Children's Area - Redding Library
February 11, 1:30- 2:30

No comments: